I was playing with the Flash Player 10 audio API and made a little guitar toy using Karplus-Strong synthesis.
One thing I noticed about the Ludum Dare Flash entries was that most of them were done with flixel. For the competition, I decided not to use it because I didn’t want to learn a new library in the same 48 hours I had to make a game.
Anyway, I’ve finally gotten around to trying flixel out. I cast around a bit for a game idea that I thought would suit flixel’s strengths. It’s a game with 3 tracks where rocks come at you and you have to switch tracks to dodge them.
Unfortunately, it’s not really fun. The graphics were also a pain. Rocks I can do; the drill took me at least twice as long.
When I first told my friend about Double Pong, he thought that it would be a game of Pong with two paddles perpendicular to each other, controlled with one input. When I was thinking about a small project to re-familiarize myself with ActionScript, I decided to make his version.
After finding out about the lively Nintendo DS homebrew scene, I was determined to make something of my own. But first, I wanted to make something small to familiarize myself with the relevant libraries.
As a fan of both robots and kittens, I of course thought of Robot Finds Kitten, the “zen simulation” that has been ported to a multitude of platforms. I found an existing DS version of RFK, but its controls were sluggish, spurring me to write my own.
I used devkitPro and the PAlib text and input libraries to make Robot Finds Kitten.